Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Back in the Midwest

We are back in the Midwest until Mark graduates and finds a job. We are staying with Mark's parents, which is nice saving on living costs. Me graduates on May 17th. We are really looking forward to it. He is looking at jobs in St. Croix Falls, WI, Boise and Twin Falls, ID. I'm hoping for Idaho, but we will see.

The drive out here was an adventure. We started the trip on Friday, early afternoon. After a few hours of driving we got stuck in Rowlins, WY. The Interstate was closed between rowlins and Cheyenne because of bad weather. It was undecided when it would reopen and every Hotel was already booked so we were worried we would have to sleep in the car (it was only 6pm, which made it worse. What can you do all evening in a car). We got on the GPS to look for a grocery store to get some snacks and the only grocery store we found was "Davidson's Gun and Grocery" Not quite what we were looking for. After driving around for awhile we found a little Market place and were about to get some food. Luckily for us and Zach the road opened after a few hours. The road was really that bad until Nebraska. We drove for about 150 plus miles on sheets of ice. CRAZY, it was May. It was really scary at one point the Semi-truck in front of us (there was a lot of traffic and cars because of the closed interstate. Practically boxed in by Semi's) got out of control and was swerving all over the place. Thankfully we didn't hit it and it got under control. We couldn't slam on our brakes because of the ice. It seemed that ever mile or so there would be a patch of ice that lasted 1/2 - 1 mile long. It was awful. But we made it safely Saturday evening. We drove straight through the night only stopping a couple times for little naps. It was not a fun trip. It is about a 20 hour drive and we made it in 5 hours including our stop in Rowlins so we made really good time. Needless to say we were really tired Saturday night and Sunday.


It was been really fun to see Mark's family again. Zach is loving the attention from the Taylor's. I really miss my family but i like it out here also. (my hands aren't dry and cracking :))
Sorry, i always forget to rotate the pictures.

8 comments:

Alisha said...

Scary...I hate driving on the ice! Good thing there is never ice here!!! However, you do have to know how to drive through the flooding! Let us know once you find out where you are moving. Have you applied anywhere in Texas?

Trent and Steph said...

I am glad you made it okay. That most have been scary driving in the bad weather.

Jami said...

That does not sound like a fun drive. I think that 11 hours is bad!

Michelle said...

Yikes! That sounds like SUCH a scary drive! I'm glad you guys made it ok. That's why I am happy to live in the south with no ice anywhere in sight! It's too bad you didn't stop and the "Gun & Grocery," that could have made for a very exciting blog post :)

And congrats on your hubby graduating very soon! That's exciting!

julie said...

Tiff, Im sure the scary drive didn't help your aversion to bad roads with travel did it??

Sherri said...

I've been wondering your plans, so thanks for posting this! Wow, icy roads are the scariest, glad you made it.

bren said...

Glad you made it okay. That's crazy that the roads were actually shut down...and it's may. Let us know how it goes with the jobs. I wouldn't be opposed to you guys moving to Idaho... :)

Anonymous said...

Grandma Sheronne said...
Happy Birthday on the 14th! I hope that you had a fun day.
I'm so glad that you made it back safely!